@KangarooBeach - Rural Doctor, Kangaroo Island
MBBS FRACGP FACRRM DRANZCOG DipANAES (JCCA)
Rural Procedural Doctor working in private practice on Kangaroo Island, South Australia. My interests include Emergency Medicine, Trauma, Anaesthetics, Human Factors & the use of 'guerilla sim' for in situ training. Blog at KIdocs.org & RuralDoctors.Net, both sites affiliated with the smacc conferences (Sydney 2013, Gold Coast 2014, Chicago 2015 - smacc.net.au)
I am an avid user & creator of #FOAMed content, aiming to help rural doctors maintain their expertise across disciplines & help them to deiver "quality care, out there".
Currently on a sabbatical with MedSTAR Retrieval in SA, learning from the experts about prehospital care, standardisation in kit & training, high-fidelity sim and clinical governance. Many lessons from prehospital care apply to rural doctors, whose work intersects with critical illness infrequently but predictably.
Hence the mantra "Critical illness does not respect geography" - my mission is to help demystify critical illness for the rural team via delivery of #FOAMed asynchronous online info sharing, formal courses such as ETMcourse and rural in situ sim.
I also care for oprhaned wildlife and co-authored a cookbook on Roadkill Recipes with my spouse - see wrongsideoftheroad.com.au (it's actually a trauma prevention project to raise awareness of wildlife on rural roads!)
SENIOR LECTURER - Flinders University Rural Clinical School Of Medicine
EMST (ATLS) Course Director - Surgeons.org
ETMcourse Instructor - ETMcourse.com
SPUMS dive medical examiner - SPUMS.org.au
Click to view PAGES
Blogs I Follow
- Dr Charles
- Australian Emergency Law
- The Collective
- ...what? A title? Oh... Hmmm...
- EM Lyceum
- accidentally bernie
- RuralFlyingDoc @ruralflyingdoc
- Nomadic GP
- Not just a GP
- Auckland HEMS
- Sim and Choppers
- The EM Edition.
- Broome Docs
- RT @alan_eade: Once again @EMS_Junkie gets it right on the @prehospresearch site. Pay it forward! prehospitalresearch.eu/?p=5327 22 minutes ago
- RT @SimNinja3688: Well done @stjohn_sa Event Health Service's team saving a life this AM. Quality CPR/Defib #CommunityResponderHeros http:/… 22 minutes ago
- RT @FAConfidence: "Visiting a gym without a defibrillator is like visiting a pool without a lifeguard" I quite agree @DuncanBannatyne http:… 22 minutes ago
- RT @lacatchat: @TastyChefsWife @fourhourtarget no. The whole thing about twitter is that it is peer moderated. And "old" media is afraid of… 23 minutes ago
- Possibly the best surgical airway video out there? CHALLENGE - ACCEPTED!!! emcrit.org/wee/real-surgi… 23 minutes ago
I am a Rural Doctor on Kangaroo Island, South Australia with interests in EM, Anaes & Trauma. Currently working with MedSTAR Retrieval, SA. Avid user & creator of #FOAMed; EMST & ATLS Director, Instruct on ETMcourse.com. My sites include KIdocs.org & RuralDoctors.Net, affiliated with smaccUs in Chicago 2015 Opinions expressed on these sites must not be used to make decisions about individual health related matters or clinical care as medical details vary from one case to another. Reader is responsible for checking information inc drug doses etc.